SEARCH THE BLOG

Nov 1, 2011

Chocolate Scotcheroos

Do you like chocolate? 
Do you like peanut butter? 
Do you like Rice Krispies? 

chocolate scotcheroos


Here is a recipe for the simplest dessert on the planet. 
The original recipe can be found on the Rice Krispies website.

This is the only measuring cup you'll need.


You'll also need a pot and two 8x8 baking dishes or metal pans. 
Seriously, it's that simple.


Ingredients
sugar
pancake syrup
peanut butter
Rice Krispies (or other cereal)
chocolate chips
butterscotch chips

Combine one cup of sugar and one cup of syrup in the pot. The original recipe calls for corn syrup, but I've found that pancake syrup gives you softer, chewier squares.  Heat to boiling, stirring often, and making sure all of the sugar dissolves. Bringing it to a full boil will also keep the squares chewy instead of hard and kind of crunchy. 



Measure out one cup of peanut butter.  Now would be an excellent time to give the dogs some peanut butter as a treat while you wait for the sugar mixture to boil.  Nothing's more fun than watching them wrap their tongues around their faces trying to get every bit.



Once the sugar is lightly boiling, remove from the heat and add the peanut butter.  Stir until smooth (or not so smooth if you used crunchy PB).  You can substitute any other nut butter (my fave is almond butter) if there is a peanut allergy.


Measure out 6 cups of Rice Krispies.  Oh...I guess I lied to you about only needing one measuring cup.  Unless you use it six times.  Then I'm not a liar.

Add the Rice Krispies to the pot a little at a time, making sure the cereal is evenly covered. Pour the cereal mixture out into the pans pressing it out and smoothing it as you go.  I've found that the back of a buttered spatula works really well.  There's no need to rush this as the mixture stays soft for quite a while. (You won't believe how many times I've had to re-write these instructions to remove double-entendres. I think I'm just going to give up and go with it.)


Set the pans to the side.  Now go wash that pot because you're going to use it again.  Add one cup of chocolate chips and one cup of butterscotch chips to the pot and melt them over low heat, stirring frequently. 



Once the chips are melted and blended together, divide it between the two pans and your mouth, spreading the chocolate out evenly over the cereal mixture.  Again, you don't have to rush as it stays melted for quite a while. 


Gratuitous chocolate picture

Once the chocolate is evenly covering the cereal, put the pans in the fridge for an hour or two to cool.  Once cooled, take them out and cut up into 1 1/2 - 2 " squares. 

chocolate peanut butter scotcheroos


I made one into a spider, just for fun.


You will get so many compliments on these. 
And no one will know how easy they were. 
I won't tell if you won't. :-)

~~~~~~~~~~ 


24 comments:

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust said...

These. Look. Awesome! I'm going to pin them so I'll remember to make them sometime. :) I host a Tuesday linky that runs through Friday (Crazy Sweet Tuesday) and would love for you to join!

Rachel said...

These look amazing! I'll have to bookmark them for sure!

Mindie Hilton said...

These sound rich and good. I would love for you to share these at my weekly linky, fri-monday come strut your stuff.
I also have an ongoing Fall and Winter linky, both can be found on my side bar with a button link. The winter one just started and is up now on current post. Hope to see you soon.

Mimi said...

Oh I am so bookmarking this AND sending my daughter a link to this recipe. She will love it! So glad you shared at Polka Dots!

Ashley E. Angle said...

Love the pictures of your dogs! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Super yum!! I love the spider!! Thanks for sharing on 2 Maids a Baking!!

Vicky @ Mess For Less said...

Those look amazing! I can't wait to try them. I am a new follower from Making It With Allie. I am co-hosting the Terrific Thursday Blog Hop and would love it if you came and linked up your blog at http://www.messforless.net/2011/11/terrific-thursday-blog-hop-week-39.html

Janie said...

These look soo soo good!

Stopping by from Tempt My Tummy Tues :)

PERMANENT POSIES said...

Yummy! My grand kids would love those.

Unknown said...

can you believe that I have never collected a recipe for something like this...until now! Thx for linking up...YUM

Donna@anangloinquébec said...

Perfect! Thanks, I will be making these up on the weekend to add into my baking for Christmas! Dropping by from Debbie-doos!!

Donna@anangloinquébec said...

Oh, and...great to meet a fellow Canadian blogger!!

Lynnette Moore said...

These look oh so yummy!!

Anonymous said...

fantastic recipe
xoxo
bB
www.itsybitsybrianna.wordpress.com

Susanne said...

How clever to capture another follower with something to eat, LOL. Found you on debbiedoos. It has been awhile since I have made any kind of treat from Rice Krispies. Thanks for sharing this. Have a great week.
Susanne :)

Barb @ Turtles and Tails said...

Thank you for the positive comments everyone. And make sure you make double the recipe because you WILL eat a lot. :-)

The Better Baker said...

OHMYSOUL! I make this recipe often - using rice chex, but have never made the topping for it. Definitely would put this awesome recipe over the top. How wonderful you were featured at Crazy Sweet Tuesday. =)

remote control car said...

Seeing so many delicious things in it, is such a amazing. Also decadent and delicious. All those incredible flavors rolled up in one which is too yummy.

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

These look scrumptious! Thanks for linking up for Friday Favorites! I'm featuring you this week.

MelissaDaams said...

yummy!!! if only they had butterscotch chips here... oh well, might try them with white chocolate instead... looks yummy yummy!

Tina said...

Just found your blog and like what I see enough go come back and read every bit and join :-)
I love the picture with the two doggies licking in perfect harmony!
Tina in Germany

Sarah E. said...

Awww I love the pics of your dogs. Too cute!!!
Can't wait to try these!

Stopping by from TTT

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you. They taste TOO good.

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...