SEARCH THE BLOG

Aug 28, 2012

Holy Guacamole!

I know, not the most original title, right? But this recipe is going to change your life! Okay, not really, but it is pretty darn good.



Let me tell you a little story -

There once was a girl who hated guacamole. She avoided it at all costs. It was wet and slimy and mushy. It had no right to call itself food. She wouldn't even eat avocado (which really limited her sushi choices).

Then she started following the Paleo way of eating, and guacamole was something that everyone in the Paleo-know was touting as the ideal snack.  It was full of healthy fat, fibre, and vitamin K, C, and E. She started to think about trying it again, but just thinking about it. No promises were made.

Nearly a year went by and the girl found herself at a mexican restaurant while on vacation. And there she saw guacamole on her plate. She decided to take the plunge. And guess what? She liked it!

Fast forward a week and she had some avocados in her possession, a recipe in hand, and a party to go to where she was in charge of bringing veggie snacks.

She made the guacamole. It was so good she wants to make more. Every day.

The end.


Ummm, that girl was me. (I'm not sure if you figured that out.)

Here is my first attempt at making guacamole. Along the way I learned that while rock-hard abs are good, rock-hard avocados are not. And I got to witness first-hand how an avocado pit reacts with a metal knife (spoiler - it's like something out of a horror movie.)

You'll need:

1 small red onion, finely chopped
1 jalapeno pepper (or other pepper of your choice), seeds removed, finely chopped
1 cup of cherry tomatoes, finely chopped
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
4 ripe avocados
3 tablespoons of lemon or lime juice
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder (or cayenne if you like it hot)
1 tablespoon of minced garlic
salt & pepper to taste

I think what appeals to me are all of the "extras" that are added. I also considered mushrooms and celery. You could even add chopped nuts for a bit of crunch.

You'll want to prep all of your other ingredients before you cut up the avocado. Avocado reacts with air very quickly and will start to turn brown so you want to keep it as fresh as possible.





Once everything else is ready, you can cut up the avocado one of two ways. You can cut it in half, take out the pit, and then scoop the flesh out and into a plastic or glass bowl. Ours weren't ripe yet so that didn't work for us. We had to peel the skin, remove the pit, and then chop up the avocado.


If your avocado isn't ripe enough, you can heat it in the microwave, 30 seconds at a time, until it softens up. We ended up heating ours quite a bit and it was still firmer and drier than what you'd see in a restaurant. But remember that story waaaaay up at the top? I was happy it wasn't all mushy.

Add the lime juice into the bowl and mash the avocado with a wooden or plastic spoon. Make it as smooth or as chunky as you'd like.


Add in the cilantro, cumin, chili powder, garlic, salt, & pepper. Mix well. Then add in the onions and peppers. Mix again. Taste it and decide if you want to add more seasoning. Lastly, add the tomatoes and stir gently.

Chill for at least 15 minutes. You can chill your guacamole too if you want.

We had already made cinnamon tortilla chips for some fruit salsa so we just made some extra with parmesan cheese instead of cinnamon.(And honestly, I liked the taste of the cinnamon with the guacamole better.)

Take a 10" round tortilla and brush it with melted butter or spray it with butter-flavoured spray.


I combined sugar and cinnamon and put them in an empty spice shaker bottle. Shake the sugar-cinnamon mixture all over the tortilla, but don't get too heavy-handed.


Take a pizza cutter or a knife and cut the tortilla into bite-sized pieces. Lay them out flat on a cookie sheet and bake them in the oven for 8-10 minutes.


Remove the pan from the oven and let cool.

If making savoury chips instead of sweet, just substitute parmesan, garlic, herbs, or any other spice you favour.


Pull out that fabulous guacamole you just made and enjoy!







You want to know about the pit and the knife though, don't you?  Any place the knife cut the pit would turn bright red within minutes. It looked like it had little cuts all over it that were ready to drip blood. Cree-pee.

Don't think about that any more. Think about puppies and rainbows. And rock-hard abs.



~~~~~

I'm linking up here this week!




22 comments:

Emily @ Whimsically Homemade said...

I haven't ever added spices to mine, I'll have to try that! And I never knew heating up an avocado will ripen it, thats a really helpful tip, because I do like my guac mushy!


Visiting from Whimsically Homemade!

Blessedwithgrace said...

It does look like good guacamole. Very similar to how I make mine. Love the homemade chips, too! Thanks for sharing and linking to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

JoAnn @ SweetPepperRose said...

Hi! visiting thru Homemaker on a Dime party - I'm not big on the Guac, but maybe I'll bookmark this recipe and try it when I'm feeling a bit adventurous :)
JoAnn @ sweetpepperrose

Joanne said...

I have never even purchased an avocado and I do like guacamole, go figure!

Rachel G said...

I love guacamole! If only avocados weren't so expensive!

andrea piri said...

Stopping over from Shine on Fridays! This recipe looks delicious!

Emily @Sweet Bella Roos said...

So glad you came around on guacamole! It took me awhile as well, but now I'm addicted! Thanks for linking up at Pin It Thursday.

Becky said...

Well, I'm very glad you changed your opinion of guacamole!! It's a super food and it's yummy. Love yours! Thanks for sharing at Foodtastic Friday!

BeColorful said...

Great photos and a very tempting post. :D Thanks for sharing on BeColorful.
pr

Amanda said...

Looks very yummy! I'm a big fan of guacamole myself. And I am inspired by your food photos. Thanks for sharing at I Made It! Monday. Can't wait to see what you link up this week.

BarbSteadman said...

Thanks! I ended up making more (with ripe avocados) and now we have a ton of it!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

BarbSteadman said...

Thanks! I think I'm hooked!

BarbSteadman said...

Ha! I made more and now we have so much - we'll have to eat it with every meal!

BarbSteadman said...

Thank you!

BarbSteadman said...

I've never bought them before. They were $1.50 each and 4 made at least 2 lbs of guacamole. I think I'll have enough for a while!

BarbSteadman said...

Go do it! It's so easy!

BarbSteadman said...

Definitely try it. I've always been weirded out by the texture but enjoyed the drier (less ripe) one.

BarbSteadman said...

Thanks! I'm definitely hooked now!

BarbSteadman said...

Oh, I think the spices make it! Especially the cumin.

Alecia @ Chicken Scratch NY said...

I'm pretty sure that first paragraph is about me! This looks a lot better than the slimy mush I remember, thanks for linking up at What's Cluckin

BarbSteadman said...

I made it again with riper avocados and I think I like them better this way!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...